To help countries advance the development of strategic plans to promote economic growth while reducing long-term greenhouse gas emissions, the LEDS Global Partnership and the Asia LEDS Partnership established a global advisory network, called “Remote Expert Assistance on LEDS” or REAL, in which countries teams in Asia and the Pacific region can seek timely virtual consultation and advice from international experts and professionals.
Through REAL, developing country governments and technical institutes can submit a request for no-cost technical assistance on LEDS analysis, policy, and related issues spanning topics such as agriculture, energy, forestry, transportation, waste, finance, and climate resilience. Requests are matched with international experts and professionals, who can provide advice to country teams on ways to overcome challenges and advance LEDS and green growth action.
REAL provides assistance to support development of LEDS strategies and programs: for example,
- Reviewing draft strategies
- Analyzing optional measures or analytical approaches
- Compiling data and information
- Sharing approaches that other countries have conducted
- Facilitating networking links with peers
- Advising on and providing links to other programs for more in-depth assistance
How does “REAL” work?
When a country request is received through REAL, the Asia LEDS Partnership team will contact an expert whose expertise matches the content of the request. The expert will be asked if he/she is available and able to respond to the request within a certain time frame, as agreed with the requestor. The expert can then work with the Asia LEDS Partnership team and/or the requestor directly to best advise country teams on suitable pathways forward, based on best practices or the expert’s experiences.
Requests for Assistance
REAL supports requests from select Asia LEDS Partnership members only. Eligible members include those from developing country LEDS teams, including government agencies and consultants, technical institutions, and NGOs that are working directly with country governments to plan and implement their LEDS.
- It requires a requestor to become a member prior to submitting a request.
- A requestor may submit multiple, successive requests.
- A REAL moderator will initiate a conversation within 3 business days by email or phone, and an expert will contact the requestor shortly thereafter.