The Livestock and Manure Management project of the FAO and Wageningen UR (University & Research centre) invites you to join a series of three webinars entitled: Manure: a valuable resource!
The webinars emphasize the importance of proper livestock manure management as a tool to improve food security, maintain soil fertility and health; and gain renewable energy; with the co-benefit of reducing methane emissions and improving soil resilience to climate change. The webinars aim to enlighten key stakeholders on necessary actions for practice change in livestock manure management and policy.
The webinars start with brief introductions by key speakers from the public, private, and NGO sector; and with ample time for questions, discussion and sharing of best practices. The first webinar sets the scope, the second and third focus on large industrial livestock operations and smallholder operations respectively.
Wednesday February 3 (starting at 1pm CET)
- Opening address: outlining the Climate and Clean Air Coalition (CCAC) and framing the Livestock and Manure Management Component by Mrs Helena MOLIN VALDÉS, Head of the CCAC Secretariat at the UN Environment Programme in France.
- Setting the scope: Introduction to Integrated Manure Management and how this is an important element to feed the world. What are the principles that make it work? by Theun VELLINGA, Senior Researcher Livestock Systems and Climate Change at Wageningen UR (University & Research centre) Livestock Research in the Netherlands; and leader of the Livestock and Manure Management project.
- How to get to practice change? by Eric KEMP-BENEDICT, Director of Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) Asia in Thailand; and partner in the Livestock and Manure Management project.
Wednesday February 17 (starting at 1pm CET)
- Recap of webinar No. 1 and deepening the subject of manure management in intensive footloose/landless livestock systems by Theun VELLINGA, Senior Researcher Livestock Systems and Climate Change at Wageningen UR (University & Research centre) Livestock Research in the Netherlands; and leader of the Livestock and Manure Management project.
- The role of the Public sector by Roberto AZOFEIFA, Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock of Costa Rica.
- The role of the Private sector by Hsin HUANG, Secretary General of International Meat Secretariat (IMS) in France.
Wednesday February 24 (starting at 1pm CET)
- Recap of webinar No. 1 and deepening the subject of extensive smallholder crop-livestock systems by Asaah NDAMBI, Researcher at International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) in Kenya; and partner in the Livestock and Manure Management project.
- The role of the Public sector by Khan HUQUE, Chief Scientific Officer & Head, Animal Production Research Division & Former DG at Bangladesh Livestock Research Institute (BLRI) in Bangladesh.
- The role of the Private sector by Didier MOREAU Director Milk Quality, Nature and Sustainable Agriculture at Danone Dairy Division in France.The role of NGOs by Steven VON EIJE, Advisor Renewable Energy at SNV – Netherlands Development Organisation in Vietnam.
To participate in the webinars please enlist to the Livestock and Climate Change Mitigation in Agriculture Discussion Group (Dgroup). Click here to join the Dgroup on Climate Change.
Shortly before each webinar you will receive login instructions and additional information through an email list called Dgroups.