This regional workshop is organized by the Asia Low Emission Development Strategies (LEDS) Partnership and is hosted by the Vietnam Ministry of Planning and Investment, with support from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the World Bank, Climate and Development Knowledge Network (CDKN), the LEDS Global Partnership Working Group on Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use, and other partners.
The event will bring together approximately 120 representatives from responsible government agencies, public financial institutions, private sector investors and businesses, and development finance to share experiences on effective approaches and opportunities to mobilize investment in support of low-emission crop production and processing in Asia. The workshop will include peer learning sessions, active group work, and hands-on training in priority areas.
Topics that will be addressed:
- Climate smart agriculture in Asia;
- Entry points for public and private finance for mitigation investments;
- Examples of policy and other instruments used by domestic and international public actors to mobilize investment, and showcase of leadership by investors and businesses; and
- Emerging opportunities for public-private collaboration and scaled-up investment.
- List of priority mitigation actions for scale-up in low-emission crop production and processing;
- Recommendations for how governments can strengthen policies to create more effective enabling environments for investment in these priority areas;
- Identification of public-private actions that can be taken to accelerate these investment; and
- How the Asia LEDS Partnership can help to advance implementation of these joint actions.
Primary audiences for this workshop include:
- National and sub-national policy-makers in LEDS and green growth
- Public sector financial institutions
- Private sector representatives (domestic and international), including representatives from commercial banks, institutional investors, funds, impact investors, and LEDS-minded companies or foundations
- International development and climate finance institutions
- Other (e.g., NGOs, project developers, technology suppliers, research institutes)
A complementary workshop on Scaling-Up Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA), will be held by the ASEAN Climate Resilience Network (CRN) in cooperation with the Vietnam Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) and with support from the ASEAN-German Programme on Response to Climate Change (GIZ) on October 27, 2015 at the same venue. Participants will discuss the way forward to integrate CSA into those processes and to access climate finance opportunities to scale-up selected CSA technologies in ASEAN. This one-day pre-workshop is by invitation, with limited seating available.
Workshop attendance is by invitation, and we are near maximum capacity. If you are interested in attending, please contact the Asia LEDS Partnership team at Secretariat@AsiaLEDS.org. When contacting us, please tell us about your roles and responsibilities related to advancing planning, implementation, and/or financing of low emission agriculture (focusing on crops and crop value chains) in Asia.
Deputy Minister Vietnam Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI)
Dr. Nguyen The Phuong is a Member of the Civil Affairs Committee of MPI and serves as Deputy Minister of Planning and Investment. In this role, he guides the following fields: science and technology; education and training; natural resources and environment; sustainable development; maternal and children health care; activities related to the youth, women and family planning; labour, culture, performance arts, sports, communication and other duties allocated by the Minister. Dr. Nguyen The Phuong directly supervises the following departments: Department for Science, Education, Natural Resources and Environment; Department for Labour, Culture and Social Affairs; Academy of Development and Policy; Da Nang Planning-Economic College.
Natural Resources Officer – Climate Change and Bioenergy Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific
Beau is a natural resource management specialist focused on promoting equitable, climate resilient and low emissions development in Asia and the Pacific. Over the past 12 years Beau has worked as a senior policy analyst for the Australian Government's Department of Resources and Energy and as a Climate Change specialist for the International Centre for Environmental Management in Hanoi and the FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific in Bangkok. He has experience delivering policy and field–level technical assistance programs on climate change adaptation and mitigation and renewable energy development in over 15 countries in South and Southeast Asia.